Saturday, November 8, 2008

Train Ride to Chicago!

My mom and I recently took the kids on a train ride to Chicago. It is something that I have wanted to do for a long time but never really had the nerve with three children. We went to visit my good friend Krista, who bless her heart let us all stay in her one bedroom apartment! Let's just say I have nominated her for sainthood! Kyle would have liked to come with us but with his schedule so crazy at the hospital we could just never get it to work.

So the train ride was seven and a half hours there and six and a half hours back (we made less stops on the way back). I know this sounds like an awful long time but time actually went by quickly. It was really ideal for the kids because they were amazed at the fact that they were on a train so just looking out the windows was great entertainment for them. When they started to get antsy I would take them on walks from car to car and they loved sitting in the observation car where we sat in a booth and colored. There were a few times when Margaret insisted on lying in the aisle with her blankie, but other than that I think it went pretty smoothly.

Our trip home was a bit more comfortable than going because we were able to sit on the first level. Going we sat on the second level (it was a double decker train) and there was just more commotion and you could feel a lot more movement on top than on the bottom. Anyone thinking about a trip like this with kids I give it a thumbs up as long as you are not in a hurry and you bring plenty of snacks!


Enjoying our lunch on the train

No comments: