Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Hey Duso!


Today was a sad day for Isabella, she had to return Duso to preschool. You may be wondering who in the heck Duso is. He is a well loved puppet whale that is passed among her classmates. They each take turns bringing Duso home and including him in all of the family rituals. After his stay with each family they write about their adventures with Duso and an illustration from each child.
Isabella came out of class on Thursday just beaming. The first thing she said was "Mom, I have Duso." Once I saw Duso it was hard for me to understand what all of the excitment was about, he looks like he needs to spend the night swimming in Oxyclean. My other worry was how in the world we were going to keep track of him until the following Tuesday when she returned to class. I mean I try to keep things organized around the house but we do loose many things around here. I just didn't want to be known as the mom who lost Duso.
Much to my surprise Isabella kept an eye on Duso the entire time that we had him. She made sure he went everywhere with us. He went to the park several times, got to go to the KU game, and slept with her every night. When I mentioned that maybe Duso needed a bath, she informed me that I would need to ask Ms Ginny about that.
I know that this all seems silly but it did mean the world to Isabella. Sometimes it is just the simplest things that mean the most. Although he wasn't the prettiest puppet I had ever seen, he meant the world to my little girl and made her feel special.
Thanks to Duso!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We used to have Duso when I was little, which was about 20 years ago! Do you by chance know where I could get one? My sister is a teacher now, and I know she would love one for her classroom. I haven't had any luck searching online. Also, did they have a book that went along with it? We had a book that "Duso" would read to us. I'm trying to find that too. Thanks!