Friday, October 23, 2009

What!!!

So yesterday I volunteered my time in Isabella's Pre-K classroom.
I had a wonderful time helping the kids make really cute spider hats and just enjoying watching how they all interact, until...

We have to start at the beginning.
About two weeks ago Isabella started talking obsessively about a couple of little boys in her class, K and N. She kept talking about how they are her new bestest friends and that she wanted to have them over some day for a playdate. Now Isabella has a lot of friends who are boys and a lot who are girls so this idea really didn't bother me. Last week as they were lining up on the playground I noticed that the boy standing behind her was playing with her hair. I thought this was kind of odd so I asked her who that was and sure enough it was her newest best friend K.
Yesterday Isabella was the snack helper so as she was with her teacher getting snack prepared the rest of the class was reading books on the carpet. At the beginning of the year Isabella and I had to make a page about her filled with pictures of her and family and all of her favorites. The teacher compiled this into a class book. I noticed that K and N were looking at this book and I was interested in it so without them knowing I was focusing on them I watched as they looked at each page of the book. When they got to Isabella's page they both got really excited and started kissing all over her and her pictures! I was appalled! Not really, but this is my little girl! Back off boys!
Do crushes really start at this age? I had two older brothers so I NEVER went through this phase because to me boys were gross until I was about sixteen because they were always around at my house.
I quizzed Isabella after class and she still insists that they are best friends but K likes to touch her hair sometimes. I never use the word "boyfriend" around her because I don't want her to turn into one of those crazy "boy crazy" little girls that I think are just ridiculous (remember I used to teach 7th and 8th grade girls). I know this is normal and cute but it somehow changes when it is you little girl. Am I crazy to worry about things like this already?

No comments: