Monday, July 20, 2009

Topsy Turvey

About six months ago Kyle and I were flipping through channels and came upon this little ditty, an infomercial for the Topsy Turvey.  For those that have no idea what this is, it is a planter for things that grow on a vine.  It hangs upside down so that the root system grow up while the plant grows down.  We of course thought it was cool, but more in a joking way.  I had been thinking of starting a tomato plant in a pot on the deck because Walter and I are huge tomato fans.
Low and behold Ursula Mary (my mom) was here for a visit in April and excitingly gave me the Topsy Turvey.  She knew I wanted to start a tomato plant and could resist this buy when she saw it in a store thinking it would be so much fun for the kids to help with.  I think mainly she wanted to see if it would really work.
Kyle rigged it up for me (it is kind of an eye sore) and Isabella and I planted two tomato plants in it.  We water it daily and the girls have had such a good time  watching it grow.  Our first tomatoes appeared in June and we are still waiting for them to be picked.  Last week they finally started turning to that wonderful orange color and each day they get more and more beautiful.  I am so excited to taste our first one!

No comments: