Sunday, September 4, 2011

Margaret the Brave!

This girl is like a rock!
She is small but very mighty!
Yesterday she had her second round of tubes put into her ears and she handled it way beyond her years. Most children her age would be up the night before worrying about what was going to happen the next day, this little firecracker was up late looking for her doll's matching pajamas and making me fix the doll's hair so that it would match her own.
I don't know if her giddiness was because this is one thing that sets her apart from her siblings, she is my only one with tubes so far, or she is just really the bravest four-year-old that I have ever met.
She had tubes put in two years ago to prevent her from getting those nasty ear infections. Life has been good since until about two weeks ago she came to me to let me know that her ear was bleeding. No tears, no pain, just a bleeding ear. I thought maybe her eardrum had ruptured? I took her to the ENT last week and you know it is bad when they look in your daughter's ears and say, "Oh My". She then proceeded to leave the room and come back with another doctor who proceeded to schedule surgery for her right away. Long story short, her tube was trying to grow out like they are supposed to do but hers was getting trapped and causing all sorts of issues. She now has two new tubes and very cleaned out ears! She came through like a rockstar and within an hour of her procedure downed a cookies and cream milkshake and a taco:) The life of a four-year-old!
This whole mess was much harder on me than her, as it always seems to be. Even though I knew she was in good hands and everything was going to be fine I still got tears in my eyes as they wheeled my little girl away. When I found a seat in the waiting room my goal was to write out my grocery list as I was waiting. As I sat there all I could think about was my Margaret, is she going to do well with the anesthesia this time? Then my mind led to my Isabella, how was she going to do on her spelling test today, hopefully she liked the lunch at school so she wouldn't spend the day hungry. Then of course Walter, was he listening to his coach at soccer practice? And last but not least Caroline, was she doing okay without me there? Then poof, the doctor came out 15 minutes later to tell me that she was all done and Margaret would be waking up soon.
Is this what mother's do?
For the rest of my life am I always going to worry about what my kids are doing?
How did my mom survive this? I used to just call her crazy for all of the worrying that she spent on me. I think I finally get it, I can't even sit to make a grocery list without worrying about my kids!

2 comments:

Micah and Beth said...

I'm glad everything went well with Miss Margaret. You're such a good mama! Isn't it amazing how much you can love each one of them?

Smith's said...

This post brought tears to my eyes! You are inspiring to me:) So glad to read everything went well with Margaret!